Home / Emergency Procedures / Fire / Evacuation
Fire / Evacuation
IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE ON CAMPUS, REMAIN CALM.
- In the case of a small fire, trained personnel may use a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.
- Evacuation routes should be maintained to allow for immediate exit of all building occupants.
- Once in a safe location, notify Security at x5000 or (626) 395-5000.
- Following evacuation, occupants are not to re-enter the building until instructed to do so by emergency response personnel.
Alert people in the area and activate the nearest alarm pull box
Close doors to confine the fire
Evacuate to a safe area. Use stairs, do not use elevators
FIRE EXTINGUISHER USE
Pull the pin
Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing media
Sweep extinguisher from side to side to smother the fire
- Know the two nearest exits from your work area
- Evacuate the building when:
- Close all doors behind you
- Leave quickly by the nearest safe exit, walk don't run
OUTSIDE THE BUILDING
- Proceed to the Evacuation Assembly Point
- Provide pertinent information to Floor Wardens, Lab Safety Coordinators, and/or the Building Coordinator
- Remain with the evacuation group and await further instructions
- Media should be referred to Media Relations 626-395-3227
- Do not re-enter the building until instructed to do so by emergency response personnel