Chemical or Biological spill clean-up should only be performed by trained and experienced personnel. Spill clean-up material and personal protective equipment should be located in each laboratory.
Minor Spill (<1 gallon)
- Isolate the spill area for at least 30 minutes to allow any bioaerosols to settle.
- Alert people in the immediate area of the spill.
- Wear protective clothing (disposable gloves, shoe covers, and a face shield) during clean-up.
- Cover the spill with paper towels or other absorbent material.
- Pour a freshly prepared solution of 1:10 dilution of household bleach to water on the spill. Be careful to avoid any splashing.
- Allow a 20 minute contact period with the bleach solution.
- Use paper towels to clean-up the spill working from the edge to the center.
- Dispose of all contaminated material in a red biohazard waste container and use the AiM Customer Portal to request a biohazardous waste pick-up.